Thursday 30 April 2015

There’s nothing to match curling up with a good book when there’s a repair job to be done around the house. ~Joe Ryan

Yes and yes. Today I was a bit stumped as what to blog about as there are only so many thoughts floating around in this brain of mine (better go and read some more). That was when my friend suggested, why not places to read? And I agree! This is a whopper really because what is a book if there is no place to read it. So here are my top five places to read a book.

1. In bed
Of course this must be the number one spot because where else can you be so warm and cosy all at once while enjoying a rollicking good story? This even beats movies in bed. I know. It's that good. I once read somewhere that you should only sleep in bed instead of doing other things...like studying or reading (?!) because then your brain won't associate sleeping with bed. Hogwash I say! Many a times I've read though tired - although not because the book was boring but the opposite in fact! You press on through the tired tears because you just have to read the...next...page... And of course you're in your room (I am assuming you're not in a public bed (do these even exist?)) and where else would you rather be?

2. On the train/tram/bus
Now this is not the obvious choice I feel for many due to motion sickness. If you are one of sufferers of this, turn away now. But it's a great way to pass the time instead of playing on your phone/pretending to play on your phone and/or create some distance between you and the other passengers by brandishing your book. Be warned though that you may miss your stop depending on the engrossing factor in question. I did also miss my stop once because of Tetris too but that is another story. Oh and reading in public places also makes you look intellectual and who doesn't want that?

3. The beach
Sun shining, lying on the beach, waves lapping, a good book in front of you - paradise! Who can protest lying on the beach reading a good book? It's relaxation to the max. Beach in French is 'la plage'. Anyway, the only pit falls that I can think of are sand in your book (although in truth will remind you of your wonderful day), the uncomfortable lying on your stomach position, and if you don't like beaches full stop. But this can easily be transferred to somewhere else. In a hammock though I always feel like the urge to go to the toilet makes the whole experience impractical. Have you ever tried getting out of one?

4. At a café
Eating while reading combines two of my favourite passions. When I was younger in fact, I used to get up two hours earlier than necessary just to read and eat my breakfast. That is dedication. I was only eight! So it makes sense that you can multitask the two to gain optimum pleasure. This is closely followed by eating while watching a cooking show. Great stuff. Of course the only downfall to the book + food is that it can often lead to food splatters on your favourite book. Shucks.

5. When you should be doing something else
Okay, okay, this is not a place but holds true anyway. This must belong to the category of human traits that says that we always want what we can't have. For me this includes reading a few chapters of my book while the computer loads, while waiting for food to cook and in a boring conversation. I'm joking but seriously, you do want to whip your book out. JUST LET ME READ MY BOOK! Oh well. They'll have to wait I guess, meanwhile the pile near my bed is growing bigger and bigger...

And there you have it my friends, my favourite places to read. What are yours we'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment