Saturday 6 February 2016

It's Time to Eat

I am supremely excited (although when am I not excited about something?) because very soon it will be Lunar New Year!! Especially auspicious this year as it falls on the eighth (in Chinese the word for eight sounds like the word for prosperity, kind of like Australian Rhyming Slang but not really). I always love it because of all the family events and food not to mention red packets filled with money. In a way there's something cool about being involved in festivities and an occasion that people of your heritage have been doing for generations. 

And the atmosphere in China Town is seriously awesome when there's all the beating of drums and lions dancing here and there. I will admit that as much as I love them they still scare me a tad when they come close. I think it's the blinking eyes that do it - never mind it's been happening my whole life. Last year I distinctly remember being caught between two groups of lion dancers with both parties telling the crowd to move back but I couldn't as they were back to back...trapped! I was a little scared I'd loose an eye to firecrackers but luckily I didn't and I think only ate (accidentally) a little instead. Ah yes the sweet smell of burning stuff and sound loud enough to slightly leave you deafened for the day. But happy nonetheless because you've feasted on delicious food all day. 

Excitement overload!!!

 

This will be me. It's also the year of the Monkey in case you were interested.

You can see what's on in Melbourne here

No comments:

Post a Comment