Sunday 19 April 2015

Sing Your Little Heart Out

Today I thought we'd cover books that have since been turned into musicals because, well why not!

Now I cannot go past firstly (and have a friend who would be very annoyed if I didn't mention it), LES MISERABLES by Victor Hugo!

First published in French in 1862 about the class struggles of the common people and quest for a better life, it first premiered as a musical in 1980. Although originally opening to bad reviews, it has since become a cult classic with movies (most notably - or notoriously) and telefilms everywhere! You don't have to look very far to find some 'Les Mis' paraphernalia. Personal favorites include One Day more and the Finale. Who can disregard a bit of ensemble singing and dancing to a better tomorrow? Not me.



Another one of my favourites is WEST SIDE STORY, although not directly adapted (although are any?), from Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. I absolutely adore the music by Bernstein and clever lyrics from Sondheim to create a riveting story line. The music is just ahh! How can one musical float through so many different genres and encapsulate the whole mood so perfectly?! I suppose this is a play in itself so maybe it's cheating but whatever!


And to go even further away from musicals (I don't care) is the adaption of THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT by Mark Haddon. I have not yet had the pleasure of watching this as I believe it has not been played professionally in Melbourne yet but do I want to see this! Perhaps we can start a petition if there's enough of us...



Safe to say that I love the theater in any which way

No comments:

Post a Comment