Thursday 12 March 2015

A Book Is Like An M'n'M, but With a Less Tasty Outer Shell And Slightly Papery Inside

It has come to my attention that I judge books by their covers. I'm Sorry but it is true. It has also come to my attention that most of the cover designs that I like are all done by the same illustrator! So today dear friends, I challenge you to think a little more about book covers. I know I definitely hate new, ugly movie covers of books - why ruin a good thing with the face of a celebrity?! (sorry) But book covers are one of those things that we take for granted. Really they have such a big impact on how we choose, read and recommend books to others.

Why do you pick the books to read that you do? Is it the title, images or colours? The big questions of life I know.

Well to lighten the mood, I though I'd shed some light on my current favourite illustrator Allison Colpoy. Her designs are beautiful, simple yet intricate and totally different. Is it weird that a good cover can make you want to buy that book IMMEDIATELY even just for the cover? Story of my life I tell you. 

She's done a number of books for Penguin and they are all stunning. Good choosing Penguin! She's even featured before on the excellent design blog 'The Design Files' in which she tells a little more about herself.

This series of Australian Classics for Kids makes me want to cry. Seriously.



Not to mention Madness - what else can capture the MADNESS happening other than a crazy ballpoint?

Or how about 'Out of Shape'? This is definitely me in the mornings...



Argh I'm in love with her covers. That's all I can say. Who is your favourite book cover designer?

No comments:

Post a Comment