Thursday 1 September 2016

Spring to These Great Reading Locations

Spring has sprung! That is incredibly cliched and for that I am sorry. But not that sorry because the change in the calendar officially marks the start of warmer weather (I hope anyway). Not that I don't like winter, I am a winter baby after all, but I will be honest and say that I think I'm running out of outfits... 

Hmm what does spring change for you?  For one it does mean that you can SIT OUTSIDE and read! Although you have to contend with bees and other grotesque insects, sorry if you're a bug lover. I just worry that a swarm will attack me. So, for this post I'll list some of my picks where you can have a good public peruse of a book.  

1. Library Lawns
State Library, University of Melbourne's (many I'm sure) libraries and my absolute new favourite Library at the Dock in Docklands. It is absolutely stunning. I have a weird thing about wood and concrete and metal and books of course. It's alovely communal sort of area away from the buzz of the main CBD. The water is calming too but don't drop your book in! 


2. Art Galleries
Of course how could you talk about places to read without mentioning my favourite NGV - either the Great Hall or Sculpture Gardens out the back. Convivial and comforting what's not to love? Similarly and in close proximity are the grassy areas between the Arts Centre and Hamer Hall (think where the Sunday Market is usually held). And if you're looking for somewhere slightly more secluded, just take a wander to the back of Hamer Hall - it's sort of like a little hill but quiet and a sunny spot (when it's sunny of course).If you want to feel like you're reading on the set of a dystopian wasteland (kind of) then the ACCC forecourt is pretty cool. Maybe to complement an angsty book?




3. Cafes
There is no shame in eating alone especially when you have a good book with you! I have just been alerted to the existence of a cafe in Heidelberg West that sells only scones. ONLY SCONES! Um yes please! It's called Jam and Cream and I have never been but it is definitely on my list. East Ivy in East Ivanhoe also has a nice vibe for chilling out and reading whatever you please. 



 4. The Museum
 I may be a bit of a nerd (that was never in dispute I don't think) but I love just hanging out at the museum. Exhibition building is stunning and the museum itself is surrounded by a number of gardens - from the rainforest part at the back to the Indigenous section that I'm pretty sure has eels in it... Carlton Gardens is conveniently nearby.Beautiful! And you can always go and stuff your face with Italian food when you're done in Lygon Street :) Although my favourite ice-cream place has since closed down. *quietly crying*


5. Federation Square
 Is this a cliche again? Maybe, but I love it or the banks of the Yarra when you only have a few moments to wait or read. What else can I say? They do have some pretty cool installations at times. 



Where do you like to read? I'd love to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment