Wednesday 4 February 2015

I Need a Mnemonic To Spell Mnemonic

Does anyone remember the mnemonics that they learned in school to help them learn words?
After a brief brain freeze, I had to be reminded on how to spell 'because'. B-E-C-A-U-S-E. Big elephants can't always use small entrances. What's another one?

Eight - Every Indian goes home tonight
Piece - A piece of PIE (not a mnemonic but still fun)
Even learning music for the spaces in the treble clef - FACE and left, All cows eat grass for ACEG. Actually, I play guitar but just learnt the names of the strings (Elephants and donkeys grow big ears) Why do elephants always make an appearance in these things?!
In fact, if you google spelling mnemonics you can find some pretty weird things. I'll leave you to find out on your own the word I can never see the same again...

Dictionary .com says
Mnemonic
noun
3.
something intended to assist the memory, as a verse or formula.
4.
Computers. a programming code that is easy to remember, as STO for “store.”
 
It's kind of cool looking back to see how these helped to learn words. And then you start kicking yourself when you discover that the extra vowels you added when trying to spell the word were all misplaced. Although saying that, I still forget how to spell unfortunately and definitely...help please!

At least google can tell me (and give me pictures like this)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment